As your physical therapists, we want the best for your health. Here are some tips that will help you stay injury-free.
1. Posture - This matters more than anything. The ideal stance is shoulders relaxed, back upright with no leaning to either side.
2. Strength - Strengthening the right muscles makes a big difference. Not sure what your muscle imbalances are? We can help. Call our office today to see what your muscle imbalances are and which exercises are ideal to keep painful days away.
3. Strap-Hanging - If your bag has a strap that rides diagonally across your body, use it. That should distribute the weight better, and you don't have the feeling it will slip off, so you're less likely to hike your shoulder. Also, swap sides so you're not always using the same shoulder.
4. Switch It Up - Pack as little into the bag as you can, the bare essentials. Also, try to vary the bags, and the weight you carry.
5. Don't Ignore Pain - If your bag is big and heavy, and your posture is far from ideal, you might be on your way to an injury. Frequent neck stiffness, headaches, and pain radiating down the arm may develop. If you notice any of these symptoms, and if ice and rest don't help, leave your bag behind. It's time to head over to our office.